Wednesday, November 07, 2007

"Say what, doc?"

Last week I learned that I have testicular cancer. After several weeks of knowing that I had some sort of a mass that wasn't normal, I went to see my doctor. He made no doubt about his concern, and asked me to get an ultrasound right away. Within 72 hours, I was in the OR waiting for surgery, dreading what every man dreads when he learns what the SOPs are for this type of cancer...

But, six days later, here I sit...waiting for the pathology reports to determine what type of cancerous cells were found in the tumor. I only know that most men with TC face either a second round of surgery to remove affected lymph nodes, or a couple of rounds of chemotherapy, sometimes both. Perhaps I'll escape with just the damage done so far after the first surgery...

To any guys out there, if you're reading this, go to www.checkemlads.org, and start checkin' 'em monthly!

On a lighter note, my family and friends have been amazing lately through this. The love and support of my wife, immediate family ,close friends, etc., has been overwhelming. I can't really use any words for how profound it is to know that God's blessings are evident in tangible acts of human kindness and compassion.

On a still lighter note, check out how quickly our two boys are growing! They are a ton of fun and I thank God daily for the privilege of raising them!




No comments: