Sunday, November 11, 2007

Another surgery!?

Dear family and friends:
After my follow-up appointment late last week, it appears that I will need another surgery to wipe the cancer out completely. However, if the tumor markers in my bloodstream remain high, they will want me to begin chemotherapy instead of surgery.

I am grateful to our Lord for His hand of guidance in all of this, and if being cancer-free requires another surgery, then so be it. If I have to endure chemo, then fine. Thankfully, embryonal carcinoma, when it develops in the testicles, is rarely fatal and is usually cured in the long run (although it does recur in many patients). It has a history of spreading very quickly in men, heading north via the lymphatic system toward the liver, lungs, and brain. There is no way of knowing whether or not my lymph nodes are carrying the cancer unless they are removed and dissected.

The surgery is called an RPLND, or retriperitoneal lymphnode dissection. It is major surgery, taking 3-4 hours on the table, and 4-8 days of recovery in the hospital. It involves cutting the patient open from sternum to groin, and carefully removing the clusters of lymph nodes that are located in front of the spine, behind the kidneys, along the vena cava and aorta, etc.

This surgery, if it happens, will most likely not be for a few weeks. We have to wait for my bloodwork until at least two more weeks, which is the timeframe for the tumor markers to typically normalize. Again, if they are not normal, I will skip surgery and head straight to chemotherapy. If they are normal, then surgery.

2 comments:

Lori Sloan said...

Todd, I'm new at this so bare with me. I've been a peeker at many blogs but never wanted to leave a note. But you are too important to me. You were probably my "1st baby". (babysitting-Katrina was already a toddler)I just want to express just how important you are and that I have you in my prayers several times a day. Thank you for being a great example of a Man of God and how you trust in Him. You take care and if I can do anything please call. Love you and yours, Lori Sloan (Scholl)

The Smiths said...

Todd, thanks for updating those following along at home. I sense a calm in your approach, and that is reassuring. Sounds like appropriate confidence, and I think God wants that for us. Attitude is such a powerful choice to make, and His glory is often displayed not just through over-coming, but the attitude we display before we are certain of the victory. Fight hard, brother, and let us rally around you!!

RT