Wednesday, December 12, 2007

Okay, now I know...



I got my results recently and they’re encouraging, but I still have one of three tumor markers that remains high. It’s the LDH which is by no means a definitive indicator of more cancer, but it is certainly a possibility and one that they check regularly in post-op bloodtests. Something about the lymphocytes, but to me that doesn’t make much sense, because the lymph fluid is totally not even part of the bloodstream…

My options are:
1) let the surgeon cut me open again
2) let the oncologist poison me with chemo (no, thanks!)
3) sit passively and go on a surveillance program (sounds risky to me)

I’m going for option 1.

Many of the case studies show a lot of men in their 30s who have had the orchiectomy surgery and chose no further treatment and the cancer stayed with them and metastasized again within the ordinary 2-3 year recurrence window…IN fact, some of the men who had the same cancer, embroynal carcinoma, showed clean lymph nodes after the RPLND surgery but yet still had recurring cancer…sheesh…

I’d rather just do what I can now to put myself in that 98% category of no recurrence, so I’m scheduled for surgery next Tuesday Dec. 18th…it will be a real beast, to put it lightly…Many of the case studies show men who were laid flat in the hospital for 4-8 days, they couldn’t breath well or move much due to pain, and they were given a morphine button (cool!). Once out, they recuperated at home for between 4 and 7 weeks following the surgery. Walking was apparently the biggest challenge but also the best factor in speeding recovery. I thank God that He is the Healer and I believe all the medical advances of the modern era have been allowed by His plan…bring on the vicodin…I’ve always said one of my goals in life is to live to age 100…maybe this will be one of my only major hurdles toward that goal… J

This is a really tough decision for me, given how much it turns my own family and household upside down, not to mention my job too. But deciding to do nothing and just have regular CT scans and blood tests for three years just seems to be passive and I’d rather trust God’s hand with the surgeon…chemotherapy is an option, also, but I would rather do surgery since it is typically the 2nd step in the comprehensive treatment process, whereas chemo is not need unless they find another tumor, which is always just a guessing game...by that point, they can give me as much chemo as I need and still usually get the cure…I guess I would just rather go through it all now since I have such a great support network, I can use my sick leave and put it all behind me as much as possible…

Bottom line: Hebrews 13:8

Thanks again for everything you all have done and will do as I get through this rough time.

No comments: